Application period is open for LIHEAP and other energy assistance programs for those who qualify.
UNION, NJ – Oct. 6, 2014 – This past winter, Elizabethtown Gas customers received more than $8 million in financial assistance from various energy assistance programs due, in part, to last year’s prolonged winter conditions, higher than normal natural gas usage required to meet heating needs and resulting higher energy costs.
Elizabethtown Gas wants to once again help customers prepare for the winter heating season and encouraging them to take advantage of programs available to help manage their natural gas bills:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps eligible customers pay for their winter heating service and also may cover the cost of may cover certain medically necessary expenses. Eligibility is based on household size and income.
- The application period opened on Oct. 1, 2014 and continues through April 30, 2015.
- Administered by New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, LIHEAP provides an annual one-time grant to assist eligible households with financial relief of up to $556. Eligibility is based on several factors, including fuel type, region of the state that you reside in and income. The state’s income guidelines are based on 200 percent of the federal poverty level.
- LIHEAP application is also an application for the Universal Service Fund Program (USF), a program created by the state to help make natural gas and electric bills more affordable for low-income households.
For more information about LIHEAP and USF or to locate an authorized local community action agency or community based organization in your area, call 2-1-1 or the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Hotline (toll-free) at 1-800-510-3102.
- NJ SHARES is a program made up of voluntary contributions from New Jersey gas and electric customers. The program provides a one-time grant to eligible applicants in a temporary crisis who exceeds the income guidelines for other energy assistance programs. For information, call 1-855-465-8783.
- The Elizabethtown Gas Budget Plan is a bill management program that provides a convenient way for customers to pay their natural gas bills, making household budgeting much easier. The plan minimizes the "peaks and valleys" in natural gas bills by allowing customers to pay a consistent amount every month for a 12-month period. Customers interested in enrolling in the budget plan should visit elizabethtowngas.com or call the Customer Care Center at 1-800-242-5830.
- The energySMART program offers ideas and tools to help customers save energy and money. Combined with offers from New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program, energySMART can provide up to $1,400 in rebates on the purchase and installation of energy-efficiency equipment.
- To get additional information about energy assistance programs, customers are encouraged to attend one of two community streets fairs. The fairs will occur on Saturday, Oct. 11 in Westfield; and Sunday, Oct. 26 in Flemington.
For additional information about each of these programs, a list of other utility assistance programs and for more information about managing natural gas costs, please visit elizabethtowngas.com and follow us on Twitter @ETownGas.
About Elizabethtown Gas
Elizabethtown Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), provides natural gas delivery service to approximately 279,000 residential, business and industrial natural gas customers in New Jersey. In operation since 1855, the company serves parts of Union, Middlesex, Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon, Morris and Mercer counties. For more information, visit www.elizabethtowngas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.